Apocalypse Is The Possible Villain Of X-Men: Days Of Future Past

apocalypse



You’ll be hearing a lot from Bryan Singer on Bleeding Cool today, and then again over the next couple of weeks. We met up a few weeks back and had a really fascinating chat, talking up a storm about Jack the Giant Slayer, about X-Men: Days of Future Past, and then also about a whole lot more besides.

But let’s get things going with some chat about the X-Menpicture. Get the salivary glands kicked in.
This is an extract from mr.Brendon Conelly's Interview with Bryan Singer :

Curious as to why he was interested in the Days of Future Paststory in particular, I asked Singer what the film was going to beabout. He told me:


The movie is about destiny. What is your fate? What were you supposed to do, what should you have done when you were younger? What didn’t you do that would have made for a better future? And what if you could go back and change that.
I think I’ve got the time travel – I don’t really want to call it time travel, but for want of a better word, time travel figured out. I pitched it to James Cameron and he signed off on it.

Now, we had been hearing a fair bit of buzz connecting this film to a certain fellow called Apocalypse. A bad guy, an ancient mutant – or more of an ancient god, really. The very first mutant from five thousand years ago, or so Rich tells me. In recent comics, Apocalypse has been cloned as a kid and enrolled at the Jean Grey school. And everyone is waiting for him to just destroy the world.

The themes of these recent comics aren’t too dissimilar to the ones Singer spelled out for me.

So, just mentioning Apocalypse might be a good idea…

On hearing the name Apocalypse, Singer’s face changed immediately but there was no point being timid. Might as well plough ahead with the question. Would he even consider using Apocalypse in the movies? How about in Days of Future Past?

His nervous answer:


I can’t tell you…

That was most interesting. So I leapt forward and asked if realising the character of Apocalypse would require performance capture.

And now Singer looked even more nervous.


This is how it gets started, when somebody starts piecing the little bits together…

The non-verbal communication was even more compelling than what Singer was saying. If I had to bet on it, I would – we’ll be seeing Apocalypse in Days of Future Past, and he’s probably going to be a performance capture character.

Jack the Giant Slayer is out in the US now but will finally hit UK cinemas on March 22nd. My full review will feature in an upcoming episode of the podcast but, as of today, let me tell you that I did have a good time with the film, particularly with the giants themselves, and that the final “punchline” tickled me so much I would find it pretty much worth the price of a ticket all by itself.

More from Singer soon.
Previous
Next Post »
Thanks for your comment